- The new composer Charles Ives excoriated of numerous Western european composers once the “pansies,” “lily-shields,” “dated ladies,” and “pussy-men.”
- The brand new historian Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., criticized homosexuals because of their “soft” leftism, cliquishness, and you can decreased adult manliness.
- The fresh psychologist Albert Ellis handled one to homosexuals “are practically usually neurotic otherwise psychotic.” Gay performers, Ellis debated, “don’t develop the answers to visual and you will medical problems” and “could be the most imitative, extremely conventional, and most greet-requiring people in our very own super-compliant society.”
- Novelist Philip Roth attacked Edward Albee’s enjoy Tiny Alice because of its “tediousness, their pretentiousness, their galling sophistication, the gratuitous and easy representing, and its own ghastly pansy rhetoric and repartee.” Disguise ‘s the villain in every this, stated Roth. “The length of time in advance of an enjoy are put for the Broadway where the new gay character was demonstrated once the a gay rather than disguised just like the an angst-ridden priest, or a crazy Negro, otherwise an aging celebrity; otherwise poor of the many, Everyman?”
- A good 1966 Date journal portion determined that homosexuality was a “pathetic little second-price option to truth, good pitiable trip from lifetime, one to may be worth equity, compassion, and you will expertise” however, “zero pretense it is not a good pernicious disorder.” The content mentioned gays’ “vengeful, derisive counterattack on straight globe.” It embraced journalist Somerset M’s check you to queers “lacked strong seriousness” and also have just a great “wonderful current to have wonderful embroidery.”
- Midge Decter when you look at the good 1980 Remarks magazine article common that she discovered extremely homosexual men becoming “mama’s guys,” alcoholic, “adolescent inside identity,” unhappy, and you may very likely to “medications, sado maso, and you may suicide” while the “obliteration of all experience, if you don’t, actually, away from on your own.”
We appeared of you to appreciating both the someone themselves and you can what they produced, and you will think me personally having been uplifted by the these types of experience
- The quality of the fresh ways. Study the fresh new brands that lead regarding so it writing-Michelangelo, da Vinci, Henry James, as well as on from the list. One stands for some good art, and only, I do not need to die in place of experiencing at least a good testing of it. This type of earlier in the day few days, I realize a collection of John Cheever’s brief tales. 3 Higher writing. I found myself gone, transported. Earlier in my lives I found myself for the a modern-day dancing business (with over several gays, I would personally create) and remain very shopping for dance. Dancing cannot become much better than that choreographed by Merce Cunningham and you may Paul Taylor. Really don’t require one movement I’m of this denigrating graphic successes by sexual direction of their founders and you will and so disappointing folks from experiencing her or him, and i also worry that light racial way does one.
- The latest information I obtain of it. Have a tendency to people into the margin render another angle into the ways groups and other people. Tennessee Williams provides written your cruelty and damage gays feel contributes to better awareness, and prompts gays to look greater into the themselves in addition to human heart. Sherry estimates public scientist Donald Webster Cory, which contends you to, as the outsiders, gays look for “the new stream of humankind, its morals and you can mores, its values and requirements, their presumptions and you will maxims, of in place of,” and thus join us all.
Increasingly over the past few years, and in the place of carrying it out consciously, You will find involved the task regarding gay painters and taken care of the lifetime advice
Lately, I have already been immersed on the videos of your Japanese director labeled significantly more than, Yasujiro Ozu. Sure, I am able to enjoy my West culture and you will my battle rather than closure me personally off to brand new artwork and facts out of other peoples. We wrote the following about three from Ozu’s clips: